The Windsor Old Peoples’ Welfare Association was formed in 1948 to help the widows, widowers, and elder relatives of Windsor residents who fell in both world wars. The aim was to build a day centre on land they bought in Clarence Road, Windsor. Over the following 10 years the Association raised funds with the usual Jumble, Cake and Bring and Buy Sales and a rather innovative “Buy a Brick” scheme.
And by 1958 the building was completed (see our photo gallery). HM Queen Elizabeth II granted permission for the hall to be named after her father, the late King George VI. Hence our public facing name – King George VI Day Centre.
Her Majesty the Queen’s association
Her Majesty the Queen’s association with us does not just stop at allowing us to use her father’s name. The Queen has visited us on at least three occasions and has generously supported us with donations and gifts.
The Windsor Old Peoples Welfare Association (WOPWA) is a charity, formed in 1948. It was established to help widows and older members of the local community socialise after the two World Wars. The Centre’s land was bought after 10 years of fundraising from jumble and cake sales and a buy a brick scheme. In 1958 the building was completed, and HM Queen Elizabeth II granted permission for the centre to be named after her late father King George VI. The Queen remains an avid supporter to this day!